Thursday, November 20, 2008

What is love? Baby, don't hurt me..

I am officially in love. What does that mean though? Is it wanting to spend every waking moment with that special someone? Is it how thoughts of them make you smile, even when you're having a bad day? Or is it an overwhelming urge to have their babies?

Now, I don't really like kids. The thought of giving birth to and raising one didn't really appeal to me. I concluded that I would just not have kids because I didn't truly see myself as a parent. I believe being a parent takes an insurmountable amount of selflessness, which I didn't believe I could feel. At this point, however, I've learned that this pure selflessness does exist in me. I want to do whatever it takes to make my woman happy. I *need* to. It's such a consuming urge to love, protect and honor her that I sometimes wonder if I've ever truly been in love before this. Now I find myself really (read: REALLY) wanting to have her children and starting a family with her. I really believe our kids would be the coolest people ever since they would be surrounded with the kind of love we have for each other: unconditional, non-judgemental, understanding, and strong.

Since I'm a bit old-school and traditional, I don't want to have kids out of wedlock. I know how it feels to see a parent come in and out of my life because they had no real obligation to stay. I want to make a commitment, not just to my (beautiful) wife, but to our children as well. I've learned through experience that marriage is extremely important to me. I do believe that it is an acknowledgement of the commitment two people have to each other and I respect that commitment. It's also acknowledging that unerring love they have for each other and a confirmation that they do want to start a family with you. Marriage pretty much eliminates all doubts for me because I know when I'm ready to marry her (and she's ready for me), it's going to be for real. Until then, I'm forever looking forward to our future together and working on building a good foundation for us.

No comments: